UK Government Announces 3rd Annual GREAT Tech Awards Competition
On: June 25, 2015 Filed Under: Member News
NEW YORK, June 15, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Today the UK government announces the third annual GREAT Tech Awards, which will send six innovative tech companies to the UK for a customized business development tour. The competition is hosted by UK Trade & Investment and the British Consulates General in New York and Boston, and encourages high-growth tech companies to choose GREAT Britain as a place to grow their global business.
Tech companies headquartered in the Northeast United States (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island,Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) are encouraged to apply for one of six sector categories: CleanTech, EdTech, FinTech, Health, Lifestyle, and Media. The winners from the six categories will be chosen by a panel of industry leaders and announced at a gala awards ceremony in October. Applications will open at 12:00pm EST on Monday, 15 June and will close at11:59pm EST on Friday, 31 July 2015. Confirmed sponsors of the competition include British Airways, Corinthia Hotel London, andMerck.
“We’re very excited to host The GREAT Tech Awards for the third year in a row,” said Danny Lopez, British Consul General New York. “This year’s competition will be the biggest yet as we expand eligibility to tech firms headquartered across the entire US northeast. The UK’s offer to American tech companies is second to none, and we’re excited to create the connections and opportunities they will need to expand internationally.”
The award winners will be selected by a prestigious panel of judges including: Pete Cashmore, CEO & Founder of Mashable; Glenda Bailey OBE, Editor-in-Chief of Harper’s Bazaar and GREAT ambassador; Ignacio Isa Martin, Sales Director at British Airways North America; Michael Hayman, Co-founder of Seven Hills; Marco Mohwinckel, Global Head of Integrated Care Solutions at Janssen Healthcare Innovation; Gareth Jones, Co-founder and General Partner at FinTech Collective; Anant Agarwal, CEO of edX; andThomas R. Burton III, Chair of the Energy Technology Practice at Mintz Levin.
“British Airways is delighted to support The GREAT Tech Awards again and support a new wave of technology stars,” said Caroline Titmuss, Vice President of Brand Marketing and Public Relations at British Airways. “Every day we connect emerging business leaders between the US and the UK, and like those we are celebrating through this program, we place innovation at the core of the customer experience.”
Winners will receive a customized business development package that includes: a roundtrip flight to London provided by British Airways; five nights accommodation at Corinthia Hotel London; accountancy services from BDO, legal services from Fieldfisher, recruitment services from Propel Executive, real estate services from Knight Frank; business development services from sector specialists including Advice Cloud, Device Access UK, Durham Lane, Gateway Europe, International Management Answers, and MedTech Logistics; meetings with mentors and government officials; and attendance at the unBound Digital conference in London.
Additionally, the Best of British and Best of USA awards will be given to recognize transatlantic technology companies that have successfully established a presence on both sides of the pond. The winners of these awards will enjoy promotion and complimentary services from UK Trade & Investment to grow their businesses in their respective foreign markets.
Where: For more information and how to apply, visit www.greattechawards.com.
Interviews: For further information and/or interviews with British Consul General Danny Lopez or select judges and advisors, please contact:
Patricia S. Edwards – Vice Consul, Communications
British Consulate General New York
email@example.com or 212-745-0251.
- The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the very best of what the UK has to offer and encourages people to visit, do business, invest and study in the UK. It unites the efforts of the public and private sector to generate jobs and growth for Britain.
- For more updates on The GREAT Tech Awards, follow us on Twitter @UKTIUSA and #GREATtech.
- British Airways, part of International Airlines Group, is one of the world’s leading global premium airlines and the largest international carrier in the UK. The carrier has its home base at London Heathrow, the world’s busiest international airport, and flies to more than 70 different countries.
- Corinthia Hotel London is a 21st century grand hotel located in the heart of London, created by experts with a passion for craftsmanship and an understanding of world-class service. Housed within a Victorian building, 294 rooms including 36 suites and 7 penthouses offer sweeping views across London’s most popular landmarks.
- Today’s Merck is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. Merck is known as MSD outside the United Statesand Canada. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer care and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions.
- BDO is a leading global network of accounting, tax and advisory firm, one that provides a full range of professional services worldwide. Whether you’re a private client, an owner managed business or an ambitious listed company, BDO has the right people and the right experience to deliver tangible value.
- Fieldfisher is an international law firm of almost 450 lawyers working with giant UK, US and global companies. The firm’s skills in major corporate M and A, capital markets and VC deals are equaled by their knowledge and expertise in their top ranked Technology Transactions and EU Data Protection and Privacy practice.
- Propel Executive provides executive recruitment services for the global digital economy, finding and supplying talent for agencies, corporates and technology businesses. Propel helps companies secure business critical talent and build digital teams from the top down.
- The four ingredients which set Knight Frank apart are their independence, their global network, and their commercial and residential platforms. Through their US alliance with Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, they have grown to a group of over 12,000 property professionals, in more than 370 offices in 55 countries.
SOURCE British Consulate General New York