This is a part-time, hourly position, reporting directly to the Production Manager at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for performing tasks required for the safe and timely load-in and load-out of show productions, including artist’s instruments and equipment and the preparation, maintenance, and restoration of the theater for all events.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: Venue specific on-the-job training will be provided to familiarize stagehands with procedures and equipment, however a basic knowledge of the items referenced below is necessary.
- Load-in and load-out sound, lighting and other theatrical equipment required for events.
- Follow instructions from Whitaker Center supervisors and tour supervisors in a timely and efficient manner.
- Safely operate equipment, tools or instruments required for the set-up and presentation of an event, including, but not limited to: Genie lift, counterweight rigging, lighting instruments, and lighting and audio control boards.
- Maintain a positive, professional demeanor through all interactions with Whitaker Center employees, volunteers, event staff, and visiting artists while working effectively together to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- As assigned, perform duties as event Lighting or Sound Technician. Eligibility for these additional duties will be determined by the Production Manager during periodic performance appraisals.
- Attend departmental and all-staff meetings as directed, staying informed of ongoing changes in department and overall organization.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Production Manager. This position description is relative to major requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- High school diploma or GED required. Technical school preferred.
- Two (2) years experience as a stagehand in a performance setting.
- Previous experience with theatrical production or the music industry is essential.
- General aptitude with basic tools of stagecraft.
- Must be able to lift at least fifty (50) pounds and perform physically demanding tasks.
- Assist with maintaining safety and fire laws.
- Ability to work well under pressure with a variety of personalities while maintain an open and positive perspective that reflects confident professionalism and an unconditional dedication to providing consistent superior services.
- Ability to be prompt and work a flexible schedule that includes days, evenings, weekends and holidays. Employees need to be ready to work at the designated time and place.
- Ability to successfully complete a Pennsylvania State Police Clearance, a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance obtained through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services and a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal History Record Information obtained by submitting a full set of fingerprints to the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Demonstrated understanding of computerized stage lighting and digital sound reinforcement systems.
- Ability to work on Genie lift at heights up to 60 feet.
- Skilled in Fall Arrest Systems.
- Knowledge in the use of miscellaneous hand tools.
- Computer literate; demonstrated understanding of Microsoft and Internet research procedures.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org