HRG Approved to Assist With Chesapeake Bay Grant Funding
On: November 7, 2016 Filed Under: Member News
State and federal environmental agencies have placed a high emphasis on restoring and improving the Chesapeake Bay Watershed over the past decade, and local governments and community groups are responding to the call. The Chesapeake Bay Stewardship fund can help them fund their initiatives, and Herbert, Rowland & Grubic, Inc. (HRG) can help local groups access this funding.
Each year, the Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund provides $8 million to $12 million in grant funding to local governments, non-profits, and conservation districts for projects that restore habitats or improve water quality in the Bay or its tributaries. However, significant upfront design may be required for these projects, and many municipalities lack the resources to adequately develop them through the design phase. To meet this need, the Chesapeake Bay Fund has made an additional $1 million in grant funding available and appointed a select group of firms as Technical Services Providers. Anyone seeking a grant from the fund must work through one of its approved Technical Service Providers, and HRG was just added to the list for 2016 through 2021.
Eligible projects include:
- Green infrastructure like bioretention facilities, green roofs, and green streets.
- Floodplain and stream bank restoration.
- Development of long-term financing strategies for capital improvements and restoration projects that benefit the Bay.
- Review of municipal codes and ordinances to be more protective of water quality.
- Community forestry programs that convert “turf to trees.”
- Stream corridor assessments
- Development of geospatial information tools to assess local land use, identify pollution sources, and select potential sites for restoration and stormwater management projects.
Municipalities or non-profit organizations looking to apply for this funding can contact Matt Bonanno, regional manager of civil engineering services, at (717) 564-1121 or email@example.com .
ABOUT THE CHESAPEAKE BAY STEWARDSHIP FUND
The National Fish and Wildlife Federation’s Chesapeake Bay Stewardship Fund is dedicated to protecting and restoring the Bay by helping local communities clean up and restore their polluted rivers and streams.
ABOUT HERBERT, ROWLAND & GRUBIC, INC.
Originally founded in 1962, HRG has grown to be a nationally ranked Top 500 Design Firm, providing civil engineering, surveying and environmental services to public and private sector clients. The 200-person employee-owned firm currently has office locations in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia. For more information, please visit the website at www.hrg-inc.com.