Alexander Building Construction Co. Celebrates 90 Years
On: June 25, 2018 Filed Under: Member News
Contact: Margaret McConnell – Office: 610-395-6871 – Cell: 484-241-6578
Alexander Building Construction Co. Celebrates 90 Years
Harrisburg, PA, June 25, 2018 . . . Alexander Building Construction Co., a member of The Butz Family of Companies, is pleased to announce that the company is celebrating 90 years in business. Today, Alexander is a leader in the construction industry in Central Pennsylvania. Alexander has been consistently ranked over the last 30 years among the nation’s Top 400 Contractors by ENR, McGraw-Hill’s construction industry magazine, and is a part of one of the largest and most reputable construction management firms headquartered in Pennsylvania.
Alexander was formed in May 1928, by H. B. Alexander, a civil engineer, out of his home on Vaughn Street in Harrisburg. The company continues to operate its main office from the same location. The firm has grown steadily over the years from a small, general contracting enterprise to one of Central Pennsylvania’s largest construction management firms with offices in Harrisburg and State College. Additional notable milestones include:
- Alexander’s first project was a stained-glass window installed in a residence.
- H.B. Alexander’s grandson, William H. Alexander, joined the firm in 1968.
- The first million-dollar project was for Polyclinic Hospital in Harrisburg, completed in May 1953.
- Alexander opened an office in State College in 1998.
- In 2003, Alexander joined The Butz Family of Companies.
The Butz Family of Companies is comprised of Alexander Building Construction Co. serving Central Pennsylvania, Shoemaker Construction Co. serving the Greater Philadelphia Area and Alvin H. Butz, Inc. serving the Lehigh Valley and Eastern Pennsylvania. Together, the companies provide construction management and contracting services in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware and Maryland.
“Alexander’s success stems not from short-term gains, but from long-term relationships,” says Rick Seitz, President of Alexander. “Although employing some of the freshest new talent in the business, we also value the experience of our veteran construction managers and superintendents. Our growth over the last four decades is due to our people, first and foremost.”
Some of the firm’s notable projects include:
- 333 Market St. in Harrisburg, completed in 1978, and at 22 stories is the tallest building between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia
- Founders Hall at The Milton Hershey School in 1970
- Expansion of Penn State’s Beaver Stadium in 1979
- Renovation of the Milton Hershey Mansion in 1980, which was the headquarters of the Hershey Chocolate Co. and is now the offices of The Hershey Trust Co.
- The Harrisburg Hilton Hotel in 1992
- Beaver Stadium Expansion & Renovation, completed in 2001, is the largest project
- Renovations to Old Main for Penn State in 2013; Alexander continues to manage multiple projects for Penn State as well as multiple other institutions of higher education
- Mount Nittany Health Campus Expansion from 2008 to 2018, as well as many other health networks across Pennsylvania such as WellSpan Health, Geisinger, Penn State Health and UPMC
“Alexander is dedicated to superior project delivery in an atmosphere of teamwork and open communication in all our business relationships. We continue to be recognized for providing the highest level of professional service resulting in exceptional project delivery for our clients,” says Seitz.
“In addition to our people, one of the things that sets Alexander apart and allows us to compete, not just with other local firms, but with larger national firms, is our ability to respond to market needs through increased use of technology and innovative approaches such as Lean Construction,” says Christopher Magent, General Manager of the State College office and Director of Business Development for The Butz Family of Companies. “Incorporating technology and Lean methodologies into our projects allows us to provide Target Value Design and to complete our projects faster and more economically.”
Innovative techniques used on projects include:
- 3D, 4D, 5D and 6D Building Information Modeling to create building mock-ups to improve efficiency
- Virtual reality, in conjunction with BIM, helps owners visualize the smallest details on future buildings
- Onsite technology like tablets, Submittal Exchange® and our mobile screen Field Collaboration Stations help reduce the use of paper in favor of improved communication and easier access to project documents
- Lean Construction techniques like The Last Planner® System and Pull Planning allow for more accurate scheduling during construction
- The Just-in-Time concept ensures that project materials are delivered at the exact moment and place needed
Alexander will be celebrating its 90th anniversary through June 2019 with special client events in both regions, social media posts, e-newsletters featuring employee memories and the launch of a new website. Additionally, The Butz Family of Companies is celebrating the 75th anniversary for Shoemaker Construction Co. and the 175th anniversary for Alvin H. Butz, Inc. Yearlong celebrations are planned for all three companies.
ABOUT ALEXANDER AND THE BUTZ FAMILY OF COMPANIES: The Butz Family of Companies, consisting of Alexander Building Construction Co., Alvin H. Butz, Inc. and Shoemaker Construction Co., provides exceptional, comprehensive construction management and design/build services, led by a commitment to complete customer satisfaction with special attention to safety, quality and value. The firm possesses significant experience in the construction of healthcare facilities, colleges/universities, corporate office buildings, manufacturing facilities, sports and entertainment venues, government buildings, K-12 schools and retail buildings serving Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and northern Delaware.